Thursday, July 7, 2011

cali

i wanted to take a moment today to talk about what i will miss about california while i'm gone.

first, i have given this state a bad rap more than once in the blogisphere. specifically los angeles, because i have not yet ventured into the more beautiful regions up north and beyond. i live in the city, in the suburbs of the city, and there is yuckyness on my corners and smog in my lungs. there are prostitutes just down the street who are out at 9 am on sunday mornings.

everyone has to worship somewhere.

anyway, this post is not about what i don't like about los angeles. its about what i will miss.

specifically, avocados.

this is avocado season in these here parts, and although i don't have a tree in my backyard (like some lucky people) i can walk into any local store or farmer's market and find the little oval-shaped piece of holiness anytime i want. i can get them cheap, cheap enough that i can make my own guacamole. cheap enough that selkie eats "avocado bowls" for dinner sometimes. they are cheap and good and fatty and luscious in all the right ways, and i am pining for them already.

because, in massachusetts, of course, those suckers are wicked expensive. like, $3 a fruit. i don't know if i can bring myself to spend that much money on one of 'em, considering i know how far they had to be driven to get into the bellingham, mass. whole foods. who knows. i may get desperate, but that's a lot of cash for such a little thing that traveled so far.

three thousand miles, yo. me and the 'cado. (i don't really call them that. does anyone?)

anyway. i will sit in my houses in massachusetts and long for the perfectness that are avocados. and i will also miss sharky's, the best take-out mexican that caters to vegans. and i will miss kind creme, which, although pricey, kicks some major regular-ice-cream ass in all of its non-dairy goodness.

wait, are all my misses about food? what does that say about me?

i will miss the near and dear to my heart, the people around me here who are my family. they generally love me dearly and think i fit in pretty well around here and don't comment about my tattoos or the fact that my hair changes color a lot. they take care of me. i will miss them.

i will miss arclight theatres, which have reserved seating and no commercials. i will miss crossroads used clothing. i will miss my ymca and the abuelitas who come in and use the treadmills next to me. i will miss telemundo in the mornings while i'm with them.

i will miss the comforts of this home, the first home here in california that i feel proud to walk into and call mine. sort of mine. as long as i pay the rent, this baby is mine.

i will miss my dogs. so much.
but not my cat.

i will miss the pomegranate tree in my back yard bursting with fruit, damnit, cause that's gonna happen in early august, i bet.

there's a lot to miss. there really is. sometimes it helps to write it all down to remind myself of what i'm doing here, in this home away from home.

1 comment: