Thursday, May 30, 2013

rock star.

just for a few minutes tonight, standing in line with my fellow teachers, microphone in my hand

(effortlessly, that; the way i gripped the mic, the way my mouth found the perfect place to be near it)

i put away all the mean things i just said about myself and my teaching

i shoved aside all thoughts of inadequacy

i jumped into the song like i dropped into a ice-cold lake

and i layed that shit down.

yes, i know i'm not tina.  i know we're just doing a version of "proud mary".  i know its just a band for one day, for one moment in ten minutes in front of the community.

but still, i get to speak those words:

"you know, every now and then i think you might like to hear something from us nice, and easy. . ."

and i am a rock goddess: sweaty sandy feet from the middle yard, sharpie notes on my hand, eyes tired and worn out . . . but my rhythm is hot, and i am inside the beat, and i am just having so much goddamn fun you can't even begin to stop me or understand it.

thank you, van nuys!


No comments:

Post a Comment