Saturday, May 25, 2013

just like that

just like that, i'm standing in my kitchen, stirring a soup; the last of the soups, the last of the soup season.  i'm holding onto cooler weather like a lifeline, knowing the heat will soon overpower my dinner plans.

just like that, the song comes on, and i'm transported back to my freshman banquet at pearl lake in franklin; hair permed and curled, satin baby-blue dress with the drop-waist and v-back, nylons and white shoes.  all of us there together, fresh-faced, childhood cheeks still intact, make-up inexpertly applied with the best intentions.  and the song plays, "lean on me", and i remember everyone dancing and holding hands, arms around each other, pretending we were all for one.  one for all.  and me, being new to the school, to the group, feeling a part of something.

me, always conscious of my first strapless bra pinned to the bottom of the v on the back of my dress, so that it wouldn't show.  

cooking soup, now.  cooking for my family, in my rented house, in my life away from the town where i was raised, where i started learning about the girl i was, and started the kitchen prep for the woman i was to become.

i look back a lot.  i can't help but think that my reality now is wrapped up in my past; that reviewing the few memories that i can recall keeps me in line.  this is tricky.  sometimes they send me back and i sit there in a state of longing, instead of a state of grace.  nevertheless, this is a part of me.  my father is the same way.  its in my genes, to look behind me and wave with a sad smile on my face, wistfully.

(i just went out to the garage to try to find a picture of me to post with this, and walked in on my daughter playing by herself, for the fifth hour today.  she asked me what i was doing, then told me, "i was playing with my imaginary friends.  you interrupted us."  she then waited until i left.  then she started talking to them again.  this is what's right in front of me, and it is also good.)

No comments:

Post a Comment