Monday, June 24, 2013

fellow humans.

dear people of earth, here is my solemn vow to you:

i will acknowledge you.  i will look up and see you, make eye contact, and register connection.  i will smile.  i will wish you and yours well.  by doing this, i will offer a bit of peace into the world.

the world might look like a target check-out line, where i will place my items on the conveyor belt and greet you with genuine hello-ness.  i will ask you how your day is.  i will see you at your work, and know that you are trying your best.  that you are who you are, and you are tired.  or happy.  or upbeat. or downtrodden.  whatever your state is, i will do my best to inter-relate.

i will not talk on my cell phone while you check out the items i am purchasing, while you ask me if i want to save 5% using my target card, while you ask me if i brought a bag.  i will not ignore you--blindness of spirit and heart--will not be ignorant of you.  i will refuse the social barriers that others may erect. i will focus my attention on you, knowing you are helping me, one person to another.

i will not ignore you, good people of earth.

better yet, i will share a breath with you, give you the air you need while you give me yours.  i will notice your tattoos and you will notice mine.  i will compliment your hair, your eyes, your graciousness.  i will tell your supervisor about you.  i will make it known that you are good at what you do.  

you are good at being a person.

thank you, and have a very nice day.

1 comment: