Saturday, January 19, 2013

made up.

this morning my daughter watched me put on some mascara.

i hadn't even showered; was in yoga pants and pigtails and a Red Sox hat, but lately i feel that i need some mascara just to get out of the house.

i could feel her watching me, eyeing me intently. i felt myself curl up inside, wondering what kind of damage i could be inflicting on her as she watched her mother alter her image in front of her.

to what end? for what purpose?

i asked her quietly, "are you watching me?"

"yeah."

"do you think you might wear make-up when you're older?"

she said, "i don't know, because its so far away from right now."

i said, "you know, there were lots of times in my life when i loved wearing make-up, and other times where i went for years without wearing any. it sort of changes for me sometimes."

she said, "that's just like me and string cheese. i used to love it, now i don't even wanna be around it."

and with that, my seven year-old daughter reminded me that she's going to be just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment